A bit of history...
Many agricultural estates and private houses had (and still have) their own well. Those who did not had to use the village well or fountain.
Purely functional before tap water was installed, some of these wells have quite a remarkable architecture, particularly their roof. Most of them have a roof, some with several sides, others dome-shaped and are covered with stones, slates or even tiles. The water-drawing mechanism most of the time works with a winding handle.
Very common in the whole region, private wells are much less used nowadays. As a result, most have been disused, but when they are well maintained or restored, they can become a valuable cultural asset.Some wells: Municipality of Champagnac la Prune:
• at Les Vergnes
Municipality of Clergoux:
• In the village: a square-edged well on the church square, a round-edged well surmounted with a wrought-iron structure with an openwork design next to the bar ‘Chez Sylvie’.
Municipality of Gros Chastang:
• at La Coulange, covered with a drystone corbelled roof.
Municipality of Gumont:
• Laronde well in the village: placed behind the church, it is remarkable for its stone vault and pediment. The almond-shaped cartouche of the pediment bears the date 1888. Touching the left side of the well is a stone basin which was used to collect water for the farm animals.
• Old well at the ‘château’ in Le Breuil: uncovered and with a circular section.
Municipality of La Roche Canillac:
• Well in La Roche Basse, built into a wall; Mr Lafond de Saint-Mür had this public fountain built in 1860, as indicated on the rectangular plate above the pediment. The fountain is closed by a wrougth-iron grid lodged inside a pointed arch. On the pediment, a modillion represents a very worn out human head.
• Well in the ‘rue Lafond de Saint-Mür in La Roche Canillac.
Municipality of Saint Bazile de la Roche:
• At Pouzol and La Vignèrerie
Municipality of Saint Pardoux la Croisille:
• At La Valette (municipality of Saint Pardoux la Croisille), a round-edged well with its wooden handle and conical stone roof.